Tips and Tricks on Party Planning
Before I was married to Austin, I was an Executive Assistant and a big part of my job was entertaining and party planning. I've always loved throwing parties and especially Austin's birthday. He does so much for everyone else so it's nice to do something for him.
A few years ago, the CEO of DOW Chemical gave us some advice that I'll never forget. He told us to never let a birthday go unnoticed. He said always do it big for both of our birthdays. He gave us several other life tips but this really stuck with me. I think of adults and how they do so much for everyone else especially with kids so we made a promise to each other that we'll always celebrate no matter what.
Party Planning Check List:
1. Venue: Book where you're going to have the party
2. Theme: Pick a theme. Pinterest is a great place for ideas
3. Food: Figure out food that goes with the theme
4. Cake: Find a good bakery and put your order in early
5. Party Decorations: I like a 'one stop shop' so Party City is always my go to
6. Invites: Make sure you get the word out two week prior - I always have AD's friends pass it around the race shop
1. Balloons make any event look over the top. Party City has so many choices just make sure you get double of everything. Two is better than one
2. It's better to get too many decorations than too little. More is better in party planning
3. A two-tier cake makes for a great center piece
4. Go easy on the food - stick with something you can order in
5. Don't forget the candles!
6. Don't forget the cake in the fridge
7. Have someone take photos for you. It makes things easier on you
8. The same thing goes for videos. Always get it on video!
Austin's party was Luau themed. We did it at our pool and I rented a blow up slide. I did this two years ago and the slide was a huge hit. The slide is as tall as the barn. LOL. I kept it simple with food and just had pizza, chips, and cookies. I usually forget something every year and this year I forgot the cake. UGH! It was such a cute cake too. We were having such a good time I just completely forgot it in the fridge.
We always like to dress the part so I bought Hawaiian leis for everyone to wear. Austin had a special leis since he was the birthday boy. And of course me and Mariel took it to a whole another level.
The best thing about birthdays is that it brings everyone together. We all have busy schedules and our own lives but when you celebrate someone who has lived another year on this earth, it's just special. Thank you to all our friends and family who came to celebrate AD! We love Y'all.
Whit + Mariel